History Underfoot

As part of its stewardship commitment to Forest Park, the Missouri History Museum rebuilt the Twin Lots in 1998 and 1999, for use by visitors to the History Museum, Dwight Davis Tennis Center and the Dennis & Judith Jones Visitor and Education Center. As the museum is always eager to provide another opportunity for people to learn about history, 22 engraved bronze plates were embedded in Missouri red granite blocks in the sidewalks leading to and around the building to help guide visitors from the parking areas to the Museum. Inscribed on the plaques are brief statements and illustrations about Forest Park through the years, including information about the burying of the River Des Peres beneath the Park; the genesis of the name of “Aviation Field”; the large bird cage in the Saint Louis Zoo, one of the few remaining structures from the 1904 World’s Fair; and the founder of the nearby Dwight Davis Tennis Center.